Beef and Mushroom Stew
Prep the Stew
- 2-2.5 lb. Chuck Roast (Cut into 1 inch squares)
- 2 8oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms (Trim Stems, don’t remove completely then cut in half)
- 5 Carrots (Cut into 1 inch rounds)
- 4 Celery Stalks (Diced)
- 1/2 lb. Fresh Green Beans (Cut in half)
- 1.5 Bag Baby Yellow Potatoes (Fresh, not frozen. Leave whole) If you can’t find baby potatoes you can use regular yellow potatoes cut into quarters
- 1 lb. Bag Frozen Pearl Onions
- 14 oz. Bag Frozen Baby Peas
Prep the Broth
- 6 Beef Bullion Cubes Dissolved into 4 Cups of Boiling Water (Set aside for later)
- 1/2 Cup Red Wine (I prefer Merlot)
- 1 Tbsp. Dried Thyme
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp. Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp. Celery Salt
- 1 Tsp. Paprika
- 3 Bay leaves
- 3 Garlic Cloves (Chopped)
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Flour
- In a Large Pot add butter and olive oil over medium high heat.
- Place cubed chuck roast in gently and brown (approx. 5-6 mins.) It doesn’t need to cook thoroughly, it’ll cook completely through as it simmers on the stove (At this time I’m mixing all my spices together in a separate bowl so its ready to add in the next step)
- Once the meat is browned add garlic and flour, mix well then add the wine (it’ll start to thicken pretty quickly) once it thickens add all your spices (minus the bay leaves)
- Add the 4 cups of beef broth you made earlier
- Add Potatoes, Carrots, Celery, Green Beans and Bay leaves (Don’t forget to remove the bay leaves before you serve) Stir Well, Reduce Heat to Medium, Cover and let it simmer for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours add the Frozen Onions, Peas and Mushrooms. Reduce Heat to Low, Cover and continue to cook for the remaining hour.
You can eat as is but I prefer to serve it over egg noodles for extra yumminess!