Herb Roasted Chicken
For the Chicken
- 5-6 lb. Chicken
- Black Pepper
- 1 Small White Onion, Cut in half
- 2 Small Lemons, Cut in half
- 6 Sprigs of fresh Rosemary
- 1 Cup of Water
- 1/2 Cup of White Wine
For the Herbed Butter
- 3/4 Cup of Softened Butter
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Rosemary, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp. Dried Thyme
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Dried Oregano
- 4 Cloves Fresh chopped Garlic
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Black Pepper
Start with the Herbed Butter
- Mix all the ingredients together with a fork and set aside. It should look something like this
Pre-Heat Oven to 350°
Prep the Chicken
- Remove the bag from inside the chicken and rinse the inside and out with cool water. Pat dry with a paper towel (This is important, if it isn’t dry enough, the butter will have a hard time sticking to the skin).
- Stuff the cavity with Onion, Lemons and Rosemary.
- Tie the legs together with cooking twine (I didn’t have any on hand so I used aluminum foil (pictured below), this is why I lost some meat around the bottom of the drum stick.
- Breast side up take a small amount of the herbed butter and rub it under the skin of the chicken.
- Add Salt, pepper and paprika to the outside of the entire chicken.
- Take the rest of the herbed butter and Rub over the entire chicken
- Place chicken in a roasting pan
- Add water and wine to the bottom of the roasting pan (If you lose all the liquid during the cooking process add more water to the pan).
Place in the oven (uncovered) and baste gently every 1/2 hour until cooking is complete. The chicken will be cooked once the meat thermometer reads an internal temperature of 165° and juices run clear.