When you think about fruit salad you usually think about summer, am I right? I used to think like that too. Pineapple, strawberries, mango and watermelon. Sounds delish! But those are all summer fruits… and it’s (currently as I write this) January! I want fruit salad now! Sure, I could go to the grocery store and grab a pineapple or watermelon but it won’t be as sweet and tasty as it normally is during the summer months and fruit can be expensive. Why purchase fruit out of season and spend the money only to be disappointed that it didn’t taste as good as you thought it would? So, I picked up fruit that tastes better in the winter… “Winter Fruits”. Citrus, Apples, Pears, Pomegranate and a light drizzle of honey make up this wonderfully delicious salad and boy oh boy is it fantastic! My husband and I enjoyed it so much I’ve made it twice this week!
Winter Fruit Salad
- 1 Naval Orange, peeled and diced
- 1 Blood Orange, peeled and diced
- 1 Pink Grapefruit, peeled and diced (You can use ruby red but I find pink grapefruit to be sweeter)
- 1 Pear, diced
- 1 Honeycrisp Apple, cored and diced (Any Apple will do… but I tend to favor Honeycrisp)
- 1 Pomegranate, seeded***
*** If you’ve never seeded a pomegranate don’t worry, it’s very easy. I simply cut the pomegranate in half and with a wooden spoon over a sieve (colander) smack the spoon onto the fruit, the seeds will come right out. If you can place a bowl under the sieve and save the juice from the pomegranate to dress your fruit salad
- Place all fruit and pomegranate seeds into a large bowl and drizzle with honey. Enjoy right away or chill in fridge. Either way… it’ll taste great!