Vine Ripe Tomatoes stuffed with a buttery crab filling.
Why is it when you stuff something healthy (in this case tomatoes) you don’t feel as guilty eating it? I could say this is a healthy snack or even great for lunch… but I’d only be trying to convince myself. When you really think about it, it’s OK to indulge every now and then. These stuffed tomatoes are perfect for a holiday, event or party of any kind. So simple and so pretty! Stuffed with crab, cheese, sauteed in wine and spices… you really can’t go wrong. Hope you enjoy!
Crab Stuffed Tomatoes
- 4 Large Vine Ripe Tomatoes, tops sliced off and insides removed (I use a tablespoon and scoop around the inside, usually comes out in one piece)
- 1 Celery Stalk, chopped fine
- 1 Shallot, chopped fine
- 1 Clove of Minced Garlic
- 4 oz. Crab Meat
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese
- 1/4 Cup of White Wine (plus a tbsp. or so if mixture gets too dry)
- 4 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/4 Cup of Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 4 oz. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Baking Spray
- Fresh Parsley or Basil for garnish
Pre-Heat Oven to 375°
Spray the inside of a baking dish with spray… such as Pam, set aside
- In a medium saute pan over medium heat melt the butter and add the celery, shallot and garlic. Cook until translucent (5-7 minutes)
- Add wine and crab meat, cook another 2 minutes then add the bread crumbs. If the mixture is too dry and crumbly add another Tbsp. of wine
- Add the cream cheese and mix constantly until it has melted and all ingredients are incorporated together.
- Remove from heat.
- Place your hulled tomatoes in the baking dish and fill with your stuffing you just prepared.
- Drizzle with EVOO and top with Mozzarella Cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes
- Garnish with Parsley or Basil
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.