My husband and I love mushrooms. And now that it’s (currently) cold out soup is a go to meal for us. It’s easy, it’s fast and it’s delicious. Add the soup to a bread bowl and you’ve got yourself a fulfilling meal! As some of my readers know I’ve been trying to eat better so I used coconut oil to sauté the onions and mushrooms. If you don’t have access to coconut oil or you don’t care for it, you can absolutely substitute with EVOO. * I also wanted a smoother consistency so after the base cooked for a bit I used my immersion blender to break down the mushrooms and onions a tad bit more. This step is not necessary, just a texture preference.
- 32 oz. White Button Mushrooms, ran through food processor OR Chopped very small (*see note above)
- 16 oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1/2 of a Large White Onion, chopped very small (*See note above)
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
- 4 Cups of beef broth
- 1/2 Cup of White Wine
- 1 Tbsp. Dried Basil
- 1 Tbsp. Dried Parsley
- 1 Tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp. Ground Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Coconut Oil, enough to coat the bottom of your pan
- In a large soup pot over medium heat add the coconut oil, garlic, onions and all of the spices. Cook until onions are tender and translucent (5-7 minutes).
- Add the chopped white button mushrooms, mix well and add the white wine. Cook until it comes to a simmer. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the beef broth and allow that to come to a simmer. (At this point I used my immersion blender… VERY carefully as the soup is extremely hot). Again, this step is not necessary but if you want a smoother soup then it is recommended.
- Cook for another 10 minutes then add the sliced baby bella mushrooms. Give it a good stir. I served mine immediately because I didn’t want to sliced mushrooms to loose their texture but if you prefer you can cook a little longer.
I hope you enjoy!